Samantha's Reviews > Twenties Girl

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: genre-contemporary-romance
Read from June 16 to 17, 2011

This one seriously made me want to smack my head against something several times. The main characters in the story are annoying as hell. Lara, heroine, is the niece of a coffee tycoon and is being haunted by her great aunt Sadie who insists that Lara help her find a necklace so she can rest in piece. In order to buy time to find said necklace, without Sadie's body getting cremated, Lara states that she thinks her great aunt was murdered. This is just ridiculous. She makes up an extremely ludicrous story about her great aunt being poisoned and is taken down to the police station to be questioned about it then that thread of the story is dropped. She never has any repercussions from leading the police on a wild goose chase except for a couple of toss away moments in the story where one of the PI's calls or reappears.

This would have been easier to overlook if Lara wasn't such a twit for the rest of the story. She's freakishly obsessed about her ex-boyfriend and she's so wishy washy about her own business that I want to shake some sense into her. Then there's Sadie who is constantly screeching in her ear about her necklace or wanting to go dancing that I was really really hoping that the cops would show back up in the story and arrest Lara to put her out of her misery.

I think Lara was supposed to be this Bridget Jones type character, but she lacks the charm and wit that Jones. Lara's screw ups and embarrassing moments are supposed to be funny but all they achieved was to make me squirm. The only highlight to the story was when Sadie stopped acting like a spoiled 5 year old. Once Sadie stopped yelling that things are "MINE!" and screeching about this or that she was an interesting character. In fact it got to the point where I started wishing that two characters would swap places. I much rather have of read about Sadie falling in love, getting a career, and making her life work rather than Lara who just kind of coasted through stuff obsessing about her ex-boyfriend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenties Girl.

06/17/2011 page 85
20.0% "So far this is... odd."
06/17/2011 page 290
67.0% "the heroine in this is a twit and her stalker/obsession with her ex-boyfriend is really getting on my last nerve."