John Martindale's Reviews > Agnes Grey

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

Apr 16, 11

bookshelves: classics, audiobook
Read in April, 2011

I don't know if I should be ashamed of this as a dude, but I loved how this novel, the love story and all was similar to other novels of this time; that is the long period of time of having emotions and feelings for another, but not knowing if they return them and then for misunderstands to arise and circumstances to become such that all looks hopeless which results in the heroin reproaching herself for the folly of affection and having such unreasonable hopes. I like how these novels end in how the two are brought together by some chance event and the man confesses his undying love and the two live happily ever after. Yeah, its an over used plot. But I so relate with these poor woman, I love hearing the emotions and the way they reasoned with themselves, for I've experience the same kind of inner torment and doubt, of course as a man, I've been on the agonizing side of when, if and how to pursue a girl. But yeah, as I am still a single bachelor maybe the happy endings in these books cause me to hope for such a happy ending for myself. I dunno. But I did like it.

Though the love story is actually a very small part of the book, kinda of stuck in towards the end. The books was mainly about her experience as a governess, and it portrays quite well the dangers of spoiling children, the evils of pride in ones class, love for vanity, status and wealth. She does a good job of showing the distinction between a good clergymen and a bad one. I could tell Anne had personal experience, she knew genuine Christianity in its beauty, and also dead religion and hypocrisy. I like that both this book and her other novel Tenant of wildfell hall, have the theme of character and convictions in the mist of difficult circumstances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agnes Grey.