Petra Eggs's Reviews > The Double Comfort Safari Club

Apr 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, reviewed
Read from April 16 to 22, 2011

I am beginning to weary of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. The writing is as good as ever, McCall has his own distinctive style - warm, compassionate and almost childlike, but the series has deteriorated into a serial. I suppose it was bound to happen, the endless repetitions about exactly who Mma Ramotswe (and her long-late father, Obed), Mma Makutsi, Mr. J.L.B. Makatoni, Mma Pokowane and the evil Violet Sephotho could not go on and this book has revealed nothing new about them at all. But with only those characters to build the stories around, it has become too cosy and a bit silly. Violet Sephotho is almost a cartoon character in a children's serial - what man will she attempt to scam next?

So although the book was enjoyable, it seemed tired compared to the freshness of the first half-dozen books and a bit formulaic. I'm almost at the Jodi Picoult stage - promising myself I won't read yet another one of her-variations-on-a-theme always written the same way, but this series is headed that way.

I do like Mma Ramotswe et al very much, but when there isn't anything new to say perhaps its time to call it a day and say goodbye as they all drive off in the little white van into the endless Botswanan sunset.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Double Comfort Safari Club.

09/04/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey I find that I have that problem with authors as well -- there writing may be as or better than ever but I get tired of the repetitive plots and characters.

Margaret Makewell You are in the minority. Most people love these books because they are light reading and enjoyable. If you don't like them - read something else.

Petra Eggs Anyone ever tell you that your style of commenting is rude and off the point? Have you considered how would I know to read something I would enjoy more if I didn't read this first.? After all I had read the rest of the series. But then you didn't read my review did you, you just read the first line and then jumped in with your rude remark and thought you would criticise me rather than comment on my review.

Carry on like this and you'll be a fully-developed troll in no time at all.

message 4: by Rooster (new)

Rooster Margaret wrote: "You are in the minority. Most people love these books because they are light reading and enjoyable. If you don't like them - read something else."

That was pretty nasty and uncalled for.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Well said Petra :-)

message 6: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie I agree with Petra, also. I've pretty much "gone off" McCall. I must say, however, whenever he's in town and I go to see/hear him, I'm attracted to reading him again.

Sharon Shuster Yup, sounds like you should stop reading them and move on to something that is more stimulating to your mind.

Achala Agree completely. I've reached that stage too.