Pamela's Reviews > A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion

A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion by Oliver DeMille

F_50x66
Feb 22, 08

Read in January, 2008

I loved the mix of philosophy and practical application in this book. I came away with a refined vision of the purpose and end goal of education and how to work towards that purpose in my home.

Diann Jepson's tender stories of inspiring her children motivated me to examine how I inspire my children. I especially liked the stories of how she exposed her children to music and ice skating. I learned a great deal about how to inspire, rather than require or even motivate my children to learn. I so appreciated the "peek" into the Jeppson home life and home school. It's wonderful to get to see how other familes apply Thomas Jefferson Education in their homes.

My favorite chapter was "Steel to Gold: Motherhood and Feminism," which completely changed my perspective on my role as a woman. The thought that I am raising "the twelve most influential people on the life of [my] yet unborn great-grandchild," broadened my sense of my responsiblity to my family and literally gave me permission to be more whole-heartedly involved in my community. I think every woman should read this chapter!

The chapter on mentoring enlightened me on the differences between a tutor and a mentor. My interpretation of this chapter is that a tutor loves a subject, but may or may not love the student while a mentor always loves the student, whether they love the subject the student is interested in or not. The key difference is where the love is placed--on the subject or on the student.

Finally, the last chapter brought the huge task of educating my children into clear reality. I understood completely how I must approach my own education while at the same time helping my children to get theirs. The spirit of balance that Oliver DeMille refers to is going to be essential in my educational journey. This book is a road map that I'll take on that journey.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion.