Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Haunted

Haunted by Joy Preble

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: 2011-release, books-i-own, signed-books-arcs, 2012-100-book-challenge, mundie-moms-reviews
Read in February, 2012

Haunted is an enticing sequel to Joy Preble's Anastasia Dreaming. I loved this book's Russian lore, romance, and suspense as much as I did in the first book. Joy Preble has a fabulous job at taking her readers deeper into her lore, unraveling the secrets from the first book and uncovering some unexpected twists. I was so caught up with the story this time around that I didn't even question what was going on, and the ending left me wanting more. Joy not only answers questions I had from book 1, but she also leaves room for more questions with this story's ending, which will lead right into book 3.

Anne is just as feisty as she was in the first book only this time around I feel like she speaks her mind a bit more as the story progresses. I adore her best friend Tess just as much as I did in book one and I may have fallen in love with Ethan even more. Finally these two admit their feelings for each other, but of course it's much more complicated than just professing their love for one another. With a Rusalka who's stalking Anne, a complicated love triangle, and Anne gaining powers she didn't know she had, Ethan and Anne have more than their feelings for each other to contend with. There's a lot that gets uncovered in this story and it puts everyone Anne cares about at risk.

Joy did a great job at showing three different sides of this story through Anne, Ethan and Baba Yaga's narrations. I have to admit, Baba Yaga started to wear me down a bit in this book and I even felt myself sympathizing with her a little. This sequel has a fast paced plot line that's full of surprises with it's secrets inside of secrets, mystery, danger and of course a few kissy scenes. I really liked the direction this series has taken and the way in which Joy was able to dive deeper into her Russian lore. She kept this story line exciting, kept me on my toes and in the end left me feeling both satisfied and wanting more. If you've read Dreaming Anatastia I highly recommend picking this sequel up. There is some very mild language, and some swoon worthy moments between the love interests.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted.