Cheryl's Reviews > The Devil's Punchbowl

The Devil's Punchbowl by Greg Iles

Apr 16, 11

Read in April, 2011

I gotta say, I'm disappointed Mr. Iles. I usually love his books. I like his writing style and his stories. The Devil's Punchbowl is the exception. Most of the action felt forced. Penn Cage was making decisions that made not sense. It was almost as if he had one third of a story and just wrote random filler.

A childhood friend of Penn Cage, Tim, asks for a secret mid-night meeting. He shows Penn pictures of a mutilated dog and a young girl fourteen year old girl in a compromising position, and not of her own making. Penn and his friend decided to "take down" the organizer of these things. They set up another the meeting the next night after Tim collects some evidence. Tim gets murdered and things start to unravel from there.

After Tim dies, the "mob boss" threatens Penn's family, and encourages Penn to find the evidence that Tim collected. Now if one of your friends has been murdered, your families lives have been threatened, do you take the time out of your day to compete in a hot air balloon race? But he agreed to the race earlier. But it is the Balloon Festival in this small town. WHO CARES? This is one of examples of the forced "excitement". Penn ends up in this balloon only to get shot down by a sniper.

Also once Penn brings others into the reality of what is going on, no one even mentions the rape of the young girl. The only thing that anyone is taking issue with is the dog fighting. Really no one cares about the rape of young girls?

I could bring in several more things that bothered me about this book, but I don't really want to bother taking the time. I will still read future books by Greg Iles, but I wont be reading and more of his Penn Cage series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Punchbowl.

Maggie Gregory I, too, was a little disappointed in this one. Overall it was pretty good, but the dog fighting got to be a little too much and I think about 200 pages could have been shaved

Cheryl Maggie wrote: "I, too, was a little disappointed in this one. Overall it was pretty good, but the dog fighting got to be a little too much and I think about 200 pages could have been shaved"

Agreed.