cecilia's Reviews > Shine

Shine by Lauren Myracle

Apr 16, 2011

bookshelves: pink-covers, green-covers, unique-covers, objects-covers, favorite-covers
Read in April, 2011

Let me preface this review with a disclaimer: This is my first Lauren Myracle book, but if this is what I can expect from her, then I may just bring myself to reading her other works although I think I may pass on the Internet Girls series.

Shine is a remarkable read that is sure to be timeless. I am in awe of Lauren Myracle for tackling such a emotionally-charged topic and doing so with great care, respect, and brutal honesty. I don't think I have read anything quite like it. At a time where the paranormal genre runs rampant with angels and unicorns and werewolves, I strongly urge everyone to take a breather and check out Shine. It is definitely worth your while!

There are so many things to digest after reading Shine that I hardly know where to start. Cat makes for a perfect narrator who has to brace herself against the "small town = small minds" of Black Creek in order to find who had left her best friend for dead. Additionally, Cat has to reconcile with her own demons in the form of an older brother who disappointed her at the most critical moment of her life and a classmate who has wronged her in the most unforgivable way. As she digs deeper into the truth, she discovers that the small town has been infiltrated by meth - and among its users are some of her classmates.

The ending of Shine will be sure to grip you in an unexpected manner, and it will force you to take a step back and see everyone involved in a new light. Even villains can have a heart. Even villains can redeem themselves. Then again, even villains can remain villains, no matter how you try hard to save them.

Gritty, dark, disturbingly and sadly real, Shine comes at the right time in our lives where society is still hesitant about homosexuality. This is what happens, and this is what has to stop happening! I love that Shine addresses hate crime, but at the same time I am sad that it has to.

Do yourselves a favor. Go and read Shine.

Then spread the love. Stop the hate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.