Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious's Reviews > Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: to-read

If you are reading NORTHANGER ABBEY for the first time: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK'S INTRODUCTION.

That was quite a let down. Since I am not very familiar with Jane Austen's work, I was looking forward to the gentle plot twists. Apparently scholars feel differently about this... So every introduction essay in a book is an immediate skip for me... Can we put them at the back then?

Review is coming.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northanger Abbey.

04/16/2011 page 10
4.0% "OMG the introduction was a killer. Only a page long, it manages to ruin the entire plot for you. If you are going to read this edition--please skip that..."
05/02/2011 page 10
4.0% "Gonna break from this."

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm Just be thankful you never saw the BBC movie with Catherine Schlesinger as Katherine Morland . . . OMG they made the heroine even stupider than she was in the book!

message 2: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious No! :( I used to think the BBC could make no bad adaptions... how disillusioned am I. Or maybe they've become better?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm You would not believe this old version. It was like some Ed Wood camp horror movie, it was so bad. And the music!!! It was like electric guitars, saxophones out of a topless bar, (don't ask how I know what that sounds like) and like, endless orgasmic wailing from a female chorus while the heroine "dreams" of being gang-raped by bloody (literally, blood-soaked) killers.

And this connects to Jane Austen how???!!!???

message 4: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Uh... wow.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm My thoughts exactly!

Kylie The more recent version is better. And although I've not seen the older adaptation yet, what Lily describes would probably fit with the gothic fiction Catherine was reading during the novel. It was pretty lurid for the times.