Basicallyrun's Reviews > The Eagle of the Ninth

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff

Apr 16, 2011

bookshelves: asnc-y
Read in April, 2011

A reread, and one that absolutely lived up to my fond memories of it. Why so awesome, Rosemary Sutcliff? I've probably already babbled in my other reviews of her books about how much I adore her writing style, so we'll just take that as read. If you have seen the film, read the book. I'm biased, of course, but it's far better (and I liked the film). Much more room for character development, for one thing. More time for Marcus and Esca to be gloriously awkward and proud around each other (and even heavier on the subtext than the film was, if that's your sort of thing, what with Sutcliff's fondness for instant sparks of connection and understanding). Cottia, whom I adore, and who makes a nice balancing point of the triangle. Marcus and Esca actually being smart and having more of a plan than 'ride north and hope'. Marcus being less of an arse to the tribespeople. The most fantastically creepy passage where they actually steal the Eagle, which kept me up at night when I was younger. Basically, I love this book. Ahem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eagle of the Ninth.