Sean Randall's Reviews > Night of the Living Trekkies

Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson

M 50x66
Apr 16, 2011

Read in April, 2011

"In his younger years, he would have spent hours debating the finer points of Trek continuity with a man dressed as a pink were-wolf."

Once again I've had a dry spell, insofar as reading is concerned. I've had fantasy epics trying to break down my door and get in, so this was welcome, light relief.

"Speaking as someone with a really tenuous hold on reality, I think you might want to take yourself offline and undergo a full diagnostic, if you get my drift."

So, to the story: a young x-army Afghan veteran now works security at a hotel, where there's a Trek convention about to take off. But the government have lost containment on secret life forms they were studying, turning the city into a neat pastiche of a zombie movie.

"They broke it down for him quickly. The good news was that he wasn't going to jail. The bad news was that the world was ending. All things considered, the Klingon seemed relieved."

The Trek references were delightful, not overdone at all, for the setting, as you might normally expect, especially given the amount of online drivel this area draws. Even the chapter names make you pause to think (Blood Fever was a voyager episode wasn't it?)

"I'm a woman,I've never owned a comfortable pair of shoes in my life."

The characters are all quite fun, and the dialog, especially between Jim and Leia, is electrifying if you're a Trekkie (and a smattering of Star Wars knowledge comes in helpful, too - "Some rescue! When you came in here, didn't you have a plan for getting out?", "I felt a great disturbance in the force").

Also, as I said, the Trek side of it is omnipresent, but not overbearing. The level of detail is very impressive, actually, and for someone like me who considers himself a fan without having ever decided to walk around wearing face paint this was a very enjoyable read indeed.

Oh and, yes,I'm geeky enough to say that I got all three of Gary's trivia bowl questions correct... But I suppose if they'd been too difficult they'd have put readers off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Living Trekkies.