Gmr's Reviews > How to Slay a Dragon

Apr 15, 2011

Recommended to Gmr by: Bell Bridge Books
Recommended for: all ages
Read from April 15 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Have you ever heard it's all in what you say...or rather how it's perceived? Mistaken meanings happen EVERY DAY. Online, in person, in text , on the phone, you name it and someone has mistaken the meaning of what someone has said for something completely different...for better or worse. Such is the case here for our young "hero" (champion or sandwich?), Greg Hart of Earth who apparently is the long sought champion-to-be of Myrth in lieu of another by a similar name that happens to fight dragons every other day. (Are you with me so far? Good.) Hmm...interesting coincidence? I don't know....the circumstances under which the prophecy was obtained are rather sketchy to say the least but then again stranger (odd or person?) things have happened.

Massively fun word play is the name of the game and it runs amuck throughout the story. Hear and their...or rather HERE and THERE you can find it on almost everyone page; a cornucopia of English class fun if I do say so myself. I can certainly see this working in a classroom setting as a great learning assignment to illustrate proper word usage. But anywho, aside from the nerdy wordy fun, there is the adventure itself.

Greg Hart (or is that Greghart as all the people of Myrth believe his name to be?) is a likable character, as is Lucky, Priscilla, and a slue of other friendly types met along the way. Even the not-quite-as-friendly (or helpful) ones are great...like the Witch Hazel (ha, get it?!) and Simon Sezxqrthm (Simon Sez for short....ha!)....each adding a little something special to the story in their own way of course. Every one he encounters on his journey brings a little mischief to the overall prophecy as it unfolds before their eyes and you can guarantee that while being engrossed in thoughts of just what might happen next (and laughing at all the "inside" jokes you uncover), you'll be taken by surprise as the unseen path is followed. It's not a book that leaves its potential outcomes wide open for you to gawk and stare at, no sir. You have selectively pick it out of the proverbial haystack, or merely let it run its course and hold on tight....me, I prefer the second method here.

In short (length not height), a wordy adventure into the realm of fantasy steeped with enough action to draw you in and enough word play to keep you thinking (and laughing) along the way. I for one thoroughly enjoyed this romp through the land of Myrth and can not wait for our next chance to visit them once again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Slay a Dragon.

04/15 page 30
13.0% "Sorta reminds me of a book I read about a boy and the goblin king....sorta."
04/16 page 100
44.0% "Oh dear...the puns run amuck in this one! Definitely makes a good case for listening carefully.... *reading*"
04/18 page 138
61.0% "Almost done....for now. Ooh...did I mention this is only book 1? (Yay!) *reading*"
04/18 page 228
100.0% "DONE. In a nutshell...a grand imaginative adventure with tons of word play fun. Can't wait for my next trip to Myrth. ^_^"
03/02 marked as: read