Adam's Reviews > Mycorrhizas: Anatomy and Cell Biology

Mycorrhizas by R. Larry Peterson

May 12, 11

bookshelves: mudd-library, mycology, non-fiction, science, soil, botany
Read from May 03 to 11, 2011

I thought mycorrhizas were really cool and I wanted to learn more about them, so I got this seemingly basic, readable book to do so. It has a lot of pictures and is relatively short. While that makes it readable and quick, it also kept it from having very much interesting material in it. The book is set up by major mycorrhizal type category (ectomycorrhizae, arbuscular, ericoid, monotropoid, orchid, etc). Within those categories, the anatomy of the symbiosis is shown (with many, many illustrations) and its functions are explained. I found most of this quite boring, as it went into too much detail about the things I found least interesting.

I had been hoping for more cool ecological interactions - and there are a few of those, like the bacteria that mycorrhizae bring into plant roots and those that live on the surface of the extraradical mycelia and aid in decomposition and fix nitrogen. It was just not what I hoped it to be. If you were intending to do some research on the anatomy and physiology of mycorrhizae, this would be a great place to start, and that's all the authors ever hoped to accomplish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mycorrhizas.

05/03/2011 page 69