TJ's Reviews > Living Nightmare

Living Nightmare by Shannon K. Butcher

Oct 08, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, urban-fantasy, own-or-have-a-copy

While I enjoy the Sentinel Wars series, LOVE Madoc and Nika's tortured pasts and eagerly anticipated reading their story, I found myself somewhat disappointed. Two reasons seem to glare:

1. Madoc is dying, he is harsh, vulgar and intentionally unlikable. That's part of what draws us to him. He believes he is not the one to make Nika happy - understandable. As the story progresses, however, and Nika continues to uncover ways they can make it work, his continual denial turns into an annoying whine. Buck up and help figure it out if you love her!!!! Sheesh, already!!!

2. There are too many interesting characters taking up too many chapters. So much so that what should have enhanced an already riveting story ended up tipping over the line into disjointed. I found myself being tossed back and forth between so many different story-lines that I ended up grabbing one and sticking with it while skipping the rest, then returning later to finish the ones left. It would have been much more cohesive and enjoyable if Butcher would have followed the basic main and secondary plot-lines with all others entering as supporting cast only until the time their own stories could be given star billing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Nightmare.