Paris's Reviews > Hand of Isis

Hand of Isis by Jo Graham

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, books-i-own

Hand of Isis is a little longer than Black Ships, which makes it at times a little slower and drawn out, but I still very much enjoyed the story of Cleopatra told through the point of view of her half-sister and hand-maiden Charmian. I’ve never really read anything about this time in history aside from what I read during my Roman history class. Of course none of that was nearly as interesting as Graham’s take on Cleopatra’s rise and fall and the relationships she made in between. The book is interestingly tied to Graham’s first book and to the third book in the series which has yet to be released.

This book because it is longer and dryer, is a little more difficult to recommend, even to those that may enjoy historical fiction, but Graham does such a great job of creating sympathetic and beautiful characters while keeping true to the historical importance of the story. I loved the book and will definitely be reading it again someday.

I actually give this book a 4 1/2, since my only real complaint is that it might be a tad overlong.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hand of Isis.