Dan 1.0's Reviews > The God Engines

The God Engines by John Scalzi

Dec 14, 11

bookshelves: subterranean-grab-bag, sf, 2011, the-scalz
Read from April 16 to 17, 2011

"It was time to whip the god." Thus begins The God Engines by John Scalzi.

Captain Tephe is ordered to humanity's homeworld, Bishop's Call, and tasked to bring the faith of Our Lord to a faithless world. But will his own fate be tested?

That's about as much summary as I can give without giving away too much of the plot. The universe John Scalzi creates in The God Engines is like no others. Humanity travels the stars in ships powered by imprisoned and tortured gods, ruled by the one god that conquered them all. While on the surface a space opera with some Lovecraftian overtones, The God Engines is really an exploration of faith.

Captain Tephe is a conflicted character, the perfect lead in a story like this. His relationship with the ship's rook was well done, as was his interactions with the other crew members, especially the priest and the first mate. I hate to admit it but I was really surprised at what happened Cthicx and the shit storm that resulted.

As I said before, the society presented in The God Engines is a pretty novel one and presents a lot of interesting ideas. I'd be very interested to read more stories set in this universe. The God Engines gets one of the easiest fives I've ever awarded. Once again, I'm convinced The Scalz can do no wrong.

30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Engines.

04/17/2011 page 21
show 6 hidden updates…

Stephen I hope you like this one. I LOVED it. It may be my favorite Scalzi. I hope he does more books set in this world.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan 1.0 Stephen wrote: "I hope you like this one. I LOVED it. It may be my favorite Scalzi. I hope he does more books set in this world."

Cool. This will be one of the next two or three books I read once I finish The Golden Transcendence.

Stacey Can't believe you got this in a grab bag. One of my picks was Ubik: The Screenplay. WTF.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan 1.0 Stacey wrote: "Can't believe you got this in a grab bag. One of my picks was Ubik: The Screenplay. WTF."

Ubik: The Screenplay? I didn't know there was such a thing. Most of the books I got in the grab bag are short story collections, something I'm not all that crazy about.

Stephen Glad you really liked this one. I thought the world building was amazing.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan 1.0 Stephen wrote: "Glad you really liked this one. I thought the world building was amazing."

Me too. The culture reminded me a little of The Pax from Endymion. Amazing stuff.

Kwesi 章英狮 I like the cover! o.O