Kate's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Jul 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy, myth-and-legend, gods
Read from July 05 to 07, 2011

I really wanted to like this book much more than I did. I'd read very positive reviews and I loved the concept - I mean, really, a near-immortal Druid going up against the gods? With proper Irish names and everything? And a wisecracking Irish Wolfhound sidekick? Awesome.

Only...not.

The plot was entirely serviceable, and the characters were interesting enough - I want to know more about the Icelanding Viking vampire lawyer, which might be the only reason I'd stick around to read Hexed - but the dialogue. Oh god, the dialogue. The writing in GENERAL. Oh, it pained me so. Atticus kept switching back and forth between the modern vernacular and ancient constructions - which would make sense for an ancient Druid, if it weren't for the fact that HE CONSTANTLY POINTED THIS OUT, and made reference to his own use of modern slang, and insulted other ancients for NOT using slang...then immediately mixed quotes from Hamlet with talking about "muthafuckas." It was jarring, it was off-putting, and it really yanked me out of the story. Mostly because it wasn't just in Atticus's spoken commentary - it was in the first-person narrative, too. Every paragraph was threaded with this jarring, confusing mix of formal, elegant wording and...awkward modern phrasings.

Which is a terrible pity, because some of the characters and scenarios were, as I mentioned, pretty darn interesting, and the representation of the Irish gods as petty, cruel, manipulative, and very very human was positively awesome. The magical world that Hearne has set up is very powerful and very well-thought-out, and I'd love to know more about it, and see the workings of gods and witches and Druids and vampires and werewolves and more...if only I could stomach the phrasings. Which I really sort of can't.

It's a shame.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

07/05/2011 page 72
25.0% "Slow going. I'm having a very hard time getting into this one."

David Traver Adolphus So generous with your stars here. Agree--I so wanted to like it. I may even give #2 a shot.