P.E.'s Reviews > Blindsided

Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings

Jun 03, 11

Read from April 15 to 16, 2011

Blindsided was the story of Natalie, a young girl slowly becoming blind.

I have okay vision at the moment. It upsets me that every time I go into a restaurant I have to ask someone to read the menu posted up high or that I need to squint to read signs but I'm lucky I'll keep my sight. Natalie wasn't lucky.

Natalie was a typical goody girl. Nice friends, did well in school, decent parents. The fact that she was becoming blind was an alien possibility and for a good while Natalie was in denial until she was sent to a school for people with vision impairments where's she'd have to prepare for living sans vision.

I would have been just as terrified in Natalie's position. She was quiet and didn't resist too much out loud. Her struggle was real though. How can you prepare for becoming blind? Nat was a good protag for the story. Her friends were also interesting, from Bree to Serena.

Blindsided shed some light about what it feels like to be blind. All through out the story I learned a ton about things such as canes and how much more difficult it is to do simple things such as counting money.

There were some parts in the story that I didn't believe were too realistic, more dramatic. They were interesting to read of but they took away from the reality of the story. However, this is a fictional tale so it was probably just my false expectations.

Overall, Blindsided was an interesting story of living with a disability. It's easy to read and likable and it deserves 3.5 stars,

***&1/2 *

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blindsided.