Yvann S's Reviews > A Pale View of Hills

A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro

Apr 15, 11

Read in March, 2011

"Young women these days are all so headstrong"

Continuing the Japanese theme from The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, this 200-page novel is set predominantly in Nagasaki. We do flit back and forth between 1980s England and 1950s Japan, but the main focus is definitely post-war Japan.

I struggled with this so much - I was surprised that I finished it. Ishiguro being such a revered name, I kept assuming that I would happen across the marvellous piece of writing... and it never happened. There appears to me to be nothing at all special about the writing - the sparse style (which I've already admitted I don't get on with) was devoid of any beauty or flourish, and the characters were difficult and unsympathetic; I couldn't really ever get to grips with any of them.

In this book, nothing is obvious. We have to deduce that Etsuko is a widow; once she goes back to Japan in her memories we have to deduce that she was in the early stages of pregnancy from "At that point in my life, I was still wanting to be left alone"; and a romance for Etsuko before she married Jiro is briefly alluded to but further clarification is not forthcoming. The whole book is written in a very "softly, softly" approach - the same approach that the conversations take - never broaching a topic directly, but instead coming at it from a number of different angles, coming back to it again and again if the conversational partner is avoiding it. I found this style really frustrating, although (while I know little of Japanese culture), I'm assuming that this is considered polite in Japan - not to address a topic directly means that a person can never be forced into speaking of something?

Niki, the English-raised daughter, is in a sense more direct, but she too is quite apathetic, a pale rendition of a person. Etsuko and Niki spend long periods talking at cross-purposes, serving to highlight the generational and cultural chasm between them. Etsuko has a strange relationship with her father-in-law (it seems to pre-date her husband), but this is never clarified; and as for her husband, who seems to be a lazy, ungrateful, rude piece of nothing, with boorish, misogynist friends:

"That's typical of women. They don't understand politics. They think they can choose the country's leaders the same way they choose dresses."

I haven't even got started on Sachiko and Mariko, who both behave truly bizarrely throughout the novel - I've made a list of the ways in which Sachiko acts strangely, both towards her daughter, for whom she seems to care not a bit, and towards Etsuko, apparently her only friend.

I just don't understand. Can someone enlighten me, or is this a dud?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pale View of Hills.