Gwenn Wright's Reviews > Revolution

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: ya-historical, ya-urban, french-revolution
Read from April 15 to 30, 2011

I'm a little conflicted. Revolution is very well written, it was only the plot that bothered me. For me the book should have ended around 370 pages. For the sake of not spoiling it for those who still wish to read it, I will say I almost just stopped reading Revolution when things got weird. The poorly conceived twist just didn't work for me and neither did the countless major coincidences unnecessarily woven into the story. They weakened it. That aside, the historical detail is amazing. If history books were written with such drama and passion we would have more historians. Some have complained about Alex's ambition at such a young age...read up on actress Sarah Bernhardt. Though I am not musically inclined at all I absolutely loved the rich musical detail. Despite our vastly different personalities I connected with the lead contemporary character, Andi. She is a girl consumed by her passion and overwhelmed by her sorrows. Her relationship with the young man from Paris made total sense. Their passion united them. Overall I would say, if you love history or music, read this book. If you don't love history or music you probably won't enjoy it. The romantic element is not strong. The characters are not truly engaging. I will read Donelly's Northern Light, because as I said, it is very well-written. The plot was just a bit off for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution.

Quotes Gwenn Liked

Jennifer Donnelly
“I have done this—made the sad prince laugh. Made his grieving parents smile. None but me. Think you only kings have power? Stand on a stage and hold the hearts of men in your hands. Make them laugh with a gesture, cry with a word. Make them love you. And you will know what power is.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“Beautiful people don't need coats. They've got their auras to keep them warm.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“She's got a big belt around her hips. It has a shiny buckle with PRADA on it, which is Italian for insecure.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“She smells of her cooking and the perfume Eau d'Hadrien. My mother wore it, too. She used to cook, like Lili. Our house smelled of garlic and thyme instead of sadness.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“I play until my fingers are blue and stiff from the cold, and then I keep on playing. Until I'm lost in the music. Until I am the music--notes and chords, the melody and harmony. It hurts, but it's okay because when I'm the music, I'm not me. Not sad. Not afraid. Not desperate. Not guilty.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“Had you but seen it, I promise you, your high-minded principles would have melted like candle wax. Never would you have wished such beauty away.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“And then I remember this morning and I wonder if it really happened or if I dreamed it. It was nice. And weird. And tender. I'm not used to tender. It's a fossil, that word. Conditions changed and it died out. Like the woolly mammoth. It just couldn't live in the same world as dick box. Ho dog. Or wiener cousins.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“Little by little, the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“For mad I may be, but I will never be convenient.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“Happiness was useless to me. It was heartache that filled my purse. What happy man has need of Shakespeare?”

Jennifer Donnelly
“On those nights, the words were for me alone. They came up unbidden from my heart. They spilled over my tongue and spilled out my mouth. And because of them, I, who was nothing and nobody, was a prince of Denmark, a maid of Verona, a queen of Egypt. I was a sour misanthrope, a beetling hypocrite, a conjurer's daughter, a mad and murderous king.”

04/15/2011 page 30
04/25/2011 page 180
38.0% "totally in love with it"
04/27/2011 page 300
64.0% "Wishing she could tell the Revolution part in some kind of chronological order, makes it a slightly clumsy read."
04/27/2011 page 362
77.0% "Wondering how it can keep going without getting completely stoopid"
04/28/2011 page 397
84.0% "While I thought it was silly, I'm actually now a little concerned and hope everything works out all right."
04/30/2011 page 437
93.0% "Hoping I finish this today because I'm just beyond done with it. Confuddled. Is a good word for the plot. Strange, it's so well written but I'm just not buying it."
show 8 hidden updates…