Jules's Reviews > Liz Jones's Diary

F_50x66
Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: humour, diary-style
Read in April, 2011

I’m not ashamed to say that I enjoyed this book very much. It’s an easy and quick read but there is more to this book than meets the eye and the bright crimson pink and simplistic drawing on the cover actually hide something deeper than one may first think.
Although British society doesn’t favour it, I suppose I am just one of those ‘middle class’ citizens who reads the Mail on Sunday (as well as a whole other bevvy of British press on a weekly and Sunday basis). I am therefore attuned to the joys and dark self-deprecating humour of Liz Jones in You magazine. In fact, I tune in and read every Sunday and I LOVE IT!!! In my eyes, it’s a pure tonic to the soul. In fact, Jones simply reminds ME of ME (in all my triumphs and failings).
I staunchly hate chick-lit yet this book provides the perfect balance between lighter reading with darker undertones and offers a modern-day critique of a marriage and expectations as they exist in coupledom. I would say that most of this account seems ‘honest’ particularly as Jones’ ex-husband has commented in the press that Jones’ newspaper burblings about their marriage and relationship were difficult to live with. The married couple have now split up.
Jones argues in her usual self-deprecating style that aspects of marriage and definitions of ‘what’ hold people together romantically in modern society are difficult to decipher – I would certainly agree with this as would, I’m sure, many of my friends – male and female. The reader is also treated to many a tale about Jones’ many cats so this is also a treat for feline lovers.
I would say this book will capture the imaginations of female readers of a certain age – say of mid-thirties to mid-forties – with past life and relationship experience. I have thought of passing this book on to my other half to read but he may think it’s about me and us!
A delightful read and thoroughly enjoyable, heartening and true! Would highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liz Jones's Diary.