Cassandra's Reviews > The King's Daughter: A Novel

The King's Daughter by Christie Dickason

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, secular-fiction
Read from April 15 to 18, 2011

First thing to note - if this was a movie, it would be rated R for violence and sexual content.

That aside, what an interesting to read. Like many of my other books, this one was picked up on a whim. I don't usually read secular historical fiction so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was a bit put off by the sexual content but tried to gloss over it in order to finish reading the story.

If most of this book is true, King James I was a scary king. Ruled by his passions, rather than his intellect, he kept his children at arm's length and toyed with their lives. Some of the other reviews criticized this book as being all about Elizabeth waiting for a husband, but I can easily see how that would be her entire life. Her father was determined to use her marriage as a political pawn and she had to wait until he decided which country he wanted to create an alliance with. In that aspect, I pity her. Her father was intent upon forcing Elizabeth to marry as part of his scheme, rather than because she loved a man. So sad.

Overall, it was a pretty good read. I could have done without the violence and sexual content but it made the book more realistic with its attention to nitty gritty detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Daughter.

04/15/2011 page 38
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenna King Finally! Someone else who could have done without the violence and the sex. Both that were written out in such detail were pretty unnecessary to the overall plot and could have been subdued.

Cassandra Agreed! I think the sex and violence were tossed in there just to sell the book... it really wasn't necessary.