Sarah's Reviews > My Life

F_50x66
Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-in-2011
Read in April, 2011

A 1,000 page doorstop. That's the best I can do with this one.

I lived through the Clinton years, I remember a lot of what he discusses in this book. I agreed with some of his policies and disagreed with others, and I was interested to hear his take on his presidency.

I could not stand the number of times that, one way or another, he said, "Well, I would have done XYZ, but I couldn't because of the Republicans." Or, "I tried to, or wanted to, do ABC, but I couldn't because of the Republicans." More than once I read of his firm belief in conspiracies against him by the Republican party.

Yep, you might not have been successful at doing everything you wanted - and yep, it might be because of Republican votes. And yep - it's possible that your policy that you couldn't get through might have been a great idea - but there's only so much of the blame game I can stand to read. Often when he does speak of mistakes he made, he apologizes for them and then says the equivalent of, "But it wouldn't have happened if..." In other words - "not my fault."

Sorry. I was taught then when you screw up, you own up to it, apologize for it, and don't make excuses. The parts of this book that touched on where he was successful were interesting, and I enjoyed those. The parts where he discusses policies or decisions that werensuccessful...well, I just got sick of reading those.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life.