Wendy Darling's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Aug 14, 14

bookshelves: dystopian-post-apocalyptic-utopian, read-2014, male-pov, middle-grade
Read on August 11, 2014

Re-read in preparation for the film--still powerful, and so impressive, especially in its simplicity and brevity. Interesting to see its DNA in many other dystopian YAs that have come along in recent years.

In case you're interested, I thought the film was pretty good, and the actor who played Jonas was perfectly cast. The changes they made to original story actually worked to the adaptation's benefit, and in some ways it expands the original themes and relationships in the book.

Full review: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Synesthesia this is a great book.

Wendy Darling It really is...I need to re-read it again at some point!

message 3: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Mar 12, 2012 02:33PM) (new)

Experiment BL626 Thanks for the heads-up, Wendy. Do you ever plan to read the sequel?

message 4: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Gray thanks for letting us know! just sent a bunch of gift copies, too - what a great deal!

Laura (Kyahgirl) Hey this is in my TBR so i better go get it!! :-) thanks.

message 6: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 12, 2012 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Sure thing, everybody!

That's a good question, Experiment. I don't know, is it worth continuing? I was okay with how this one ended. I've never even looked at reviews for Gathering Blue and Messenger, I suppose I should.

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ I enjoyed the series as a whole. I dont know about everyone else, but I liked Messenger better than Gathering Blue.

message 8: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa thanks for the heads up, I just bought it.

Cory Omigod, yes! Thanks, Wendy!

message 10: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 12, 2012 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Rebecca, the fourth one isn't even out yet, right? Is there a cliffie at the end of book three, or should I wait until the last one is released?

And you're welcome, Alyssa & Cory!

Angela Woah, there's a sequel? Need to check that out.

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Wendy Darling wrote: "Rebecca, the fourth one isn't even out yet, right? Is there a cliffie at the end of book three, or should I wait until the last one is released?

And you're welcome, Alyssa & Cory!"

I did not know there was a fourth. I thought it was tied up pretty well at the end of Messenger.

Wendy Darling Hah hah, don't you love how information spreads here Angela? I don't know what I would do without GoodReads. :)

That's good to know about Messenger, Rebecca--I might go ahead and read the next two, then. I've seen this series described as a quartet, though I can't find info on the fourth book.

Wendy Darling Never mind, here it is. Book four is Son and will be out October 2012!

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yeah, I just looked it up and found it after you mentioned it. I think when I last visited The Giver on GR it still said (The Giver #1) instead of (The Giver Quartet #1).

Lorena Thank you for the heads up! You've always got your finger on the pulse of Kindle awesomeness. And a sequel? Woohoo~

message 17: by Andi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andi Thanks so much for the tip! I've been dying to read this one!

Wendy Darling You're welcome, Lorena and Andi! It's such a great deal, I hope a lot of people are able to take advantage of it.

message 19: by Heaven (new)

Heaven thank you

message 20: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Oh my, one of the best books of all time in my opinion. In relatively few pages, it managed to pull at ALL of my emotions. So few books can manage to do that.

message 21: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani I have read Gathering Blue and The Messenger, neither one come close. The Messenger was better than Gathering Blue, IMO. I am eagerly awaiting book 4.

message 22: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Buying this right now! Thanks.

message 23: by Sesana (new)

Sesana I actually really liked Gathering Blue, but that was mostly because of all the fiber arts. I was completely fascinated.

Tricia Thanks for the heads-up! I keep trying to check this out for my kindle from our library system. I dutifully waited my turn twice, and didn't manage to get it onto the K either time it became available. Spending 25c is well worth it at this point!

Tricia Although dang, it's telling me $4.70. I guess I'll try again via the library, because I'm too cheap to spend that much on books I can borrow...

message 26: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Thanks for the heads up, Wendy!

Wendy Darling You're very welcome, everybody--I'm glad that a lot of you seemed to have been able to take advantage of the deal.

I'm so sorry, Tricia, I guess they took the offer down by the time you clicked on it. I think sometimes they do that when they've reached a certain amount :(

Thanks for the feedback on the sequels, Dani and Sesana! I will have to reread this one and go forth with the next two soon. It's not too much longer to wait for the final book.

message 28: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Wendy Darling wrote: "Never mind, here it is. Book four is Son and will be out October 2012!"

Oh, it finally has a title!

Casey *IwouldadoptMatilda* Wendy, you mentioned in earlier comments that you were okay with how The Giver ended. I was okay with the ending too, until I found out that my interpretation of the ending was not right. And then I was confused and didn't like that the ending left it sort of ambiguous. I need to know that I am not alone in the world on my interpretation of the ending (view spoiler)

Lissa I love this book, but I was really confused when I found out my interpretation of the ending was wrong.(view spoiler)

I'm not interested in the movie - I loved the ambiguity of the original book and wouldn't want to see the story made more black-and-white for a kids' audience. What makes it one of the few middle-grade books I've loved as an adult is the lack of a villain and the fact that no one in the book is completely good or evil. I could see the benefits of Jonas' community - how no one ever feels true pain or sadness - and also its downfalls, in how everyone was emotionally stunted from living in an extreme nanny state. The leaders were so emotionally stunted that they were like little children, and they couldn't possibly understand what they were doing was wrong. I don't think most movies could convey the subtlety of the book.

Wendy Darling Casey and Lissa--how interesting that you both said the same thing re: the ending!

When I first read the book, I interpreted the ending the same way you did. And frankly, I interpreted the same way upon rereading it as an adult, the only thing that reads differently to me is the knowledge that (view spoiler) I'm not sure. I think the ending was written in a deliberately ambiguous way, and I'm actually just fine with that as a self-contained story, though obviously things can change depending on how the sequels play into this scenario.

I like that this book doesn't have a clear villain too, Lissa, though I think for a visual medium, having an antagonist helps to drive the narrative. And as I wrote in my review, I do wish the movie had tried to capture the subtlety of the book as well. But I do think they did a lot of things right, and even improved upon some things. The film definitely incorporates more dynamic scenes, and things do get a little messy towards the end, but it isn't nearly as action-oriented as the trailers make it seem.

But I do understand why you'd want to skip it. If you're fiercely devoted to the original story and feel resistant to the film, there's no need to put yourself through something you don't think you'd enjoy.

message 32: by Abi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abi I agree wholeheartedly with your encapsulation of rereading the novel and of the movie!