Sarah Rosenberger's Reviews > Such a Pretty Girl

Apr 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: older-teen, teen-fiction
Read in April, 2011

Meredith's father was sent to jail for molesting her and several other children in their town. Although he was supposed to serve a nine year sentence, he is released on parole after only three years. Meredith thought she would be safe from her abuser until at least the age of eighteen, but her mother welcomes her father back with open arms, saying she wants them to be a family again. What options are there for 15-year-old girl when she is forced to allow the man who raped her back into her life, especially since she knows he hasn't really changed? Is she really as powerless as she feels?

The author apparently did a lot of research before writing this book, but I think it had some believability issues. Wouldn't the grandmother have pushed for custody the second she knew Meredith's father was going to be near her again? Would a serial child rapist really have gotten out after only 3 years when there was so much evidence against him? I'd like to the think the answer is no, but maybe that's just wishful thinking... How could a convicted child molester think it was a good idea to move back to the town where his crimes were committed? Also, while I can appreciate the thematic elements of the Andy/Mrs. Mues subplot, I think it was a little too fantastical.

Believability aside, this was a harrowing read that didn't shy away from showing the horror of sexual abuse. Girls who like books like A Child Called It and Ellen Hopkins' titles might want to read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Pretty Girl.

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Thank you for your review...I feel like I can take a pass on this one, but still know who might want to read it.