Laura's Reviews > The Easter Cat

The Easter Cat by Meindert DeJong

This is another one of my 'forgotten' books. I could remember liking this book a lot as a kid, could remember some very specific details. Little girl, loves cats, but her mom is allergic so she can't have one, finds a siamese cat, then hides under a creepy porch with it so her mom can't make her give it up.

I'm pretty sure that I read this when I was young and obsessed with wanting a cat even though my dad hated cats. Of course, that didn't last and I got one for my ninth birthday and now we have a billion cats and it's all a bit crazy. SO. These were some formative years.

After successfully finding Oh Honestly, Angela!from piecemeal memories, I went after this one. Did a google books search and found only an excerpt from Library Journal or similar with a review, gave the date as 1971 and the girl's name as Millicent, but no author or book title due to what google books lets you read. So I went to WorldCat, set the date, language, and juvenile, used cat as a keyword, and slogged through 400 results until I saw "The Easter Cat" and thought...that could be it...I didn't remember Easter at all. Amazon gave me the cover and a description and yes. This is my book. Philly library even has it! I can't wait to re-read it, even though it wasn't great literature in the first place and who knows how it will hold up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Easter Cat.