Chris's Reviews > The Enchanted April

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

Apr 19, 2011

bookshelves: lit-fiction-english, kindle-freebie
Read from April 11 to 15, 2011

I find Enchanted April to be an extremely difficult book to review. The book is too close to my heart. Not in the same way that Possession or The Lord of the Rings are, but in some secret hidden corner.

Enchanted April is about four women who rediscover life. It is about four women who rediscover the meaning of friendship. It's about four women who learn to leave the prejudices behind. It is about the discovery and rediscovery of love. Above all, it is about Italy.

The book is one those perfect books, nothing seems to happen but everything happens. The book is part fairy tale, part reality, and part oh so British magical Italy. It is old-fashioned, but current. It is a perfection of contradictions. It is a love sonnect in prose that smells of flowers and feels of sun and warm grass. Good food and wine are on offer.

And everyone, regardless of age, size, or sex, is beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted April.

02/20 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Chris It is. That's why I can't write about it at the moment.

Chris I've downloaded two others by her for my kindle. I loved the movie version of this book.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve Chris, thanks for flagging this one. I love post WW 1 fiction. I also now have a Kindle, so I'm going get this one right away.