meeners's Reviews > The Code of the Woosters

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse

Apr 15, 2011

bookshelves: funny
Read in April, 2011

for a summary of the plot you can do no better than the great man himself:

And half an hour later I was toddling up the steps of [Aunt Dahlia's] residence and being admitted by old Seppings, her butler. Little knowing, as I crossed that threshold, that in about two shakes of a duck's tail I was to become involved in an imbroglio that would test the Wooster soul as it had seldom been tested before. I allude to the sinister affair of Gussie Fink-Nottle, Madeline Bassett, old Pop Bassett, Stiffy Byng, the Rev. H.P. ('Stinker') Pinker, the eighteenth-century cow-creamer and the small, brown, leather-covered notebook.

No premonition of an impending doom, however, cast a cloud on my serenity as I buzzed in. I was looking forward with bright anticipation to the coming reunion with this Dahlia - she, as I may have mentioned before, being my good and deserving aunt, not to be confused with Aunt Agatha, who eats broken bottles and wears barbed wire next to the skin.

----------

one of these days i am really going to have to re-read all of the j&w books and make a compendium of all of the hilariously elaborate & beautifully descriptive insults said by aunt dahlia. my favorite from this one: "Spink-Bottle, you ghastly goggle-eyed piece of gorgonzola, will you hop it or will you not?"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Code of the Woosters.

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny love these books. have you watched the early 90s j&w series with stephen frye and hugh laurie? <3<3<3

meeners i looooooove the tv series with fry & laurie. <3 now when i read the books i can't help but read all the dialogue in their voices!

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny hehe. that's why i can't take _house_ seriously.

meeners totally! have you seen the blackadder series? hugh laurie as the fathead prince george / lieutenant george = priceless!!!

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny i think we have the same pbs/bbc viewing history. made me feel fancy when i was a kid, including "are you being served?" ^^