Laurel-Rain's Reviews > Ten Beach Road

Ten Beach Road by Wendy  Wax

Apr 25, 11

Read from April 15 to 25, 2011

Three women from very different circumstances have one thing in common. They have all suffered financial ruin at the hands of a financial manager, and they all now share ownership in a ramshackle beachfront property in Florida.

When they meet to assess their property, they come to a seemingly untenable decision. They will restore the historic home back to its original beauty, and then sell it. But they must achieve this in a record amount of time and by doing the work themselves, under the guidance of a local contractor.

The journey brings out all the strengths they weren’t sure they had and forges friendships that will bring more than they could have bargained for. What happens during the course of this amazing journey will be totally unexpected, with some sad and some victorious moments.

Avery, Nicole, and Madeline will end up with something else they hadn’t expected. They will discover untapped resources inside themselves that they will carry with them into the future. But what disasters and obstacles will befall them before they’ve reached their goal? And what will sustain them in the days, weeks, and months ahead?

Each character was someone I could relate to, even though none of them had experiences I’d enjoyed. Avery, an architect who had been reduced to a “Vanna White-like” role on the HGTV show she co-hosted with her ex-husband, is frustrated and full of anger; Nicole has a very successful matchmaking business to high-end clients, but something is missing from her life; and Madeline has been a homemaker all of her life, but her current empty nest has her seeking something new to do with her life.

In many ways, they are each ripe for the picking when fate throws them a few curves. Isn’t it true that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger? Each of them is forced to find out the truth of that on their new journey. I loved that each of the women began to reach out to one another, despite the secrets they tried to hold tight within. I felt emotionally drawn to them when obstacles popped up, as inevitably they would in such a situation. None of the women has been trained to do an “extreme makeover” like the one they face.

The contractor, Andrew, is an old family friend to Avery, but the way he seemingly condescends to her, calling her “Vanna” repeatedly, raised my ire. I could identify with the plight of being diminished by a man who is in a position of power.

I thoroughly enjoyed how Madeline came into her own as the leader and go-to person for organizational skills.

As I turned the pages of "Ten Beach Road," I didn’t want the story to end. Even though I wanted to see what would happen, that satisfaction would come at the price of losing these friendships. For by this time, I felt as though these women were part of my own friendship circle. This book earned five stars from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Beach Road.