Michelle's Reviews > Maverick

F 50x66
Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: part-of-series, traded-sold
Read in April, 2011, read count: 1

I have mixed feelings about this book. The storyline was good and not far-fetched... a good continuation of this series. Micah was super hot... strong, dominant, sexy, protective with an obvious tender spot for Risa. The sex scenes were actually done very well - no over the top raunch (not that I mind that much...lol) that LL usually does. Pretty straight-forward and romantic. That's where the greatness ended, though.

Risa was just plain pathetic. I get that she was emotionally abused growing up and then completely traumatized by her kidnapping, rape, rescue and basically another kidnapping. I really got tired of reading over and over and OVER again about how ugly she was, how someone would have to put a bag over her head to have sex with her, etc. I think the point the author was trying to bang into our brain was that despite her outward appearance and what others thought of her, to Micah she was beautiful. And that's great. But it was emphasized so much - talk about beating a dead horse. Also, I felt like there should have been violins playing in the background the whole time I was reading, this book was so melodramatic. That has nothing to do with the story - I liked the story. It was the writing. She didn't just say something, she said it over and over again. She didn't just describe something - she spent paragraphs and pages describing things. I think if everything was just.... toned down... just a little, then I would have enjoyed the book more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maverick.