Jess's Reviews > Millicent Min, Girl Genius

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: favorites, funny, chinese-american
Recommended for: Young girls
Read on January 01, 2006 — I own a copy, read count: 4

I was an avid reader as a little girl, and I read hundreds of books. But this book about a young Chinese-American girl with a genius IQ is an easy runner-up for my favorite childhood novel.

This book begins with young Millie Min, precocious and antisocial, who is eager to experience college and get into the outside world at the tender age of eleven. She could read "In Cold Blood" at three years old and has a poster of Mona Lisa in her room, and when her mother signs her up for volleyball classes, she is utterly devastated.

Cue new friendships with new people- her detested tutoree Stanford and her new best friend Emily, a vibrant and feminine girl who shows Millie a new side of childhood.

To me, this a flawless summer read. The characters are delightful, from Millie's quirky grandmother to her amazing parents. The whole book is loaded with peaceful, home-y summer images that make you wish the weather was always warm, and the book really has wit and heart. I am no longer a little girl, but I still love this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Millicent Min, Girl Genius.