Ian's Reviews > Forever Odd

May 03, 08

bookshelves: suspense
Recommended to Ian by: Kevin
Read in May, 2008

While this Odd Thomas book was a good and entertaining read, I say so resignedly.

Everything is here to make this as solid a book as the first; interesting plot, great supporting characters, etc. Additionally Odd's wit in Forever Odd seemed a bit more refined than the first book, and I enjoyed it a bit more because of it.

What I found unfortunate was that Forever Odd seemed stitched on to the first book in what I felt was a forced way. I couldn't escape the feeling that Odd Thomas was intended to stand alone, and these sequels were only drafted in response to the character's appeal. True enough, that's no reason to hate the book, and I don't - I just wish there were a few things that tied the plot more to the first book.

I wanted this story to really address Odd's interactions with the other people in Pico Mundo, and develop Odd's character even more after the events of book one. Instead, I think of book two as a side adventure in the overall story. It's certainly an entertaining and engaging one, but not to the extent that I'm wowed. Hopefully the third book ties things together in a more satisfactory way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Odd.

Westphire i agree he needs to follow through with all his characters better, not just Odd

Dinah I also concur.

message 3: by Lucille (new) - added it

Lucille Shoen

Bonnie Morse If you haven't read the third book yet, you're going to be disappointed.