Choong Chiat's Reviews > I Sold My Soul on eBay: Viewing Faith through an Atheist's Eyes

I Sold My Soul on eBay by Hemant Mehta

Jul 30, 11

In this book, the author presents a candid, personal and concise account of his experiences firstly as a devout Jain, then as an atheist and finally as a church-visiting/reviewing "friendly atheist".

The author's simple and conversational style of writing makes this book an easy and light read (I personally finished the book in five days' time but could have finished it in an even shorter period of time if I wanted to).

And perhaps it is because that I am a friendly agnostic, I am in agreement with most, if not all, of the points raised by the author in this book.

However, that said, I must say that the book, to me, seems to only skim the surface of things. In other words, it is perhaps rather superficial and lacks substantive depth.

Also, while his stream of consciousness style of narration (with regards to his experiences in various churches) allows for easy reading, it would perhaps be better and more useful if the author had some form of short summary at the end of the each chapter and not only put together his experiences and opinions in the second last chapter of the book.

In addition, while it was nice that I am in agreement with most, if not all, of the author's points, it was somewhat boring and unsatisfying in that I was not really able to acquire any new information and/or insights from this book.

Nevertheless, I would recommend this book to my Christian friends (and other Christians) if they wish to have a better idea of how non-believers perceive their religion. In fact, I would recommend that people, regardless of their beliefs, seek out and converse with people whom may have different beliefs.

As the line from the song "Colours of the Wind" goes...

"You think the only people who are people
Are the people who look and think like you
But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger
You'll learn things you never knew you never knew"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Sold My Soul on eBay.