Alexis Villery's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: review-tbr
Read from July 10 to 20, 2011

In book 5 of the Lady Julia series, we find our protagonist getting into trouble yet again. Feeling that Brisbane needs a partner, Lady Julia attempts to solve a minor mystery on her own. However, this mystery leads to bigger mysteries. Lady Julia must struggle with feeling the need to protect her husband and the need to win a wager between herself and Brisbane.

I enjoy the interplay between Lady Julia and her husband Brisbane. Their exchanges are full of witticisms and dry humor. The mystery started off as a simple commission taken on by Brisbane with Lady Julia attempting to tag along but quickly turned into quite a complex story with the main suspects dying one by one. I found the "guilty" party to be a complete surprise. I felt like there were too many characters in the book but I might feel this way because I didn't read the series in order. It can stand alone but if you care about the characters and want to know more, starting at the beginning of the series might be ideal. Also, this story doesn't have any steamy moments. I was quite surprised by this because of the cover. Overall, a very fun read because the characters are witty and fun.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.