Emma Makes's Reviews > The Crow Road

The Crow Road by Iain Banks

May 10, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 19 to May 10, 2011

When my fiancée Tom came to meet my family, it was at a barn party attended by my immediate family, all my extended family and quite a lot of our small town too.

Joining a large family is enough to make you want to have a family tree on hand at all times... just to work out who goes where and with whom. It was the best part of these recurring names, discoveries and victories in working out how a large family goes together that I loved about The Crow Road.

I loved this family – their lives felt real, the characters well developed and the depth of the plot and development through the book was captivating, dense and thoroughly enjoyable. I loved how, just like recalling a story out loud, the plot would often head off on a tangent and then round back to meet itself by way of the past, the future and another good few handfuls of family members.

The ins and outs of The Crow Road made for a rich story – I feel like I’ve known this family all my life now and the book seems to give far more to the reader than it’s 500-odd pages.

As well as everyday family life, memories of childhood and wonderful descriptions of the Scottish landscape – there is a mystery to solve. Not in an obvious “alert alert we must solve this mystery” type of way, but like a niggle – something that’s there, then it’s gone, then woven back into the story until it comes to the fore in a fantastically satisfying end.

I began this book because one of my Good Reads friends listed her top all-time books. It matched books I loved exactly and this was the only gap. I can’t recommend The Crow Road highly enough – it’s a standout and will undoubtedly feature in the book recommendations/ birthday and Christmas presents to give to friends list for some time to come.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crow Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachael One of my favourite. Books. Ever.

Emma Makes Rachael wrote: "One of my favourite. Books. Ever."

The reason I'm reading this is because every other book you listed on your profile is a book I LOVE - this was the only one I hadn't yet read. And we had it at home since my husband is a huge Iain Banks fan.

Rachael Oh cool! I'll have to check out your list then. Not that I need any new books to read - my bedside table is heaving.

Rachael Hooray! Wonderful, eloquent review. Makes me want to read it a third time. One day I hope to write a book that pushes these kind of buttons. Now I can tell you to seek out the tv series that was made of it. It was superb. I used to have it on VHS!