Christopher Rex's Reviews > For All the Tea in China: Espionage, Empire and the Secret Formula for the World's Favourite Drink

For All the Tea in China by Sarah Rose

2064068
May 02, 11

Read from April 14 to May 02, 2011

This book probably would have received 3 stars if it hadn't followed my reading of the epic "For the Term of His Natural Life" which blew me away and still stays with me. Always tough to follow up a champ. Anyway, this book was good. Interesting. I enjoy this genre of "commodity history" which examines the relevance of one specific product/good and how it shaped historical trends. Clearly tea was one of those products and the book does a good job of showing how it helped shape the growth of England and the lengths the Brits went to to end China's tea-monopoly. Where it falls short is in the whole "espionage" element. It's not really "thrilling" as one would expect. Interesting, yes....thrilling, no. An easy read and an interesting one for those who enjoy "commodity history" but didn't live up to the hype it received in reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For All the Tea in China.