Nomes's Reviews > Days Like This

Days Like This by Alison Stewart

I was really excited for this Aussie dystopia. That cover (!) The comparison to John Marsden's 'Tomorrow Series' (My fave series of all time) (!) and just general Aussie YA coolness (!) ;)

Also, 'Days Like This' was a grand finalist in the Amazon breakthrough novel competition (a really tough competition) ~ so my congrats on that.

Unfortunately, this is not the book for me.

I'm abandoning it 100 pages in. I haven't read enough of the plot to say whether it gets really, suddenly good or not. (some reviews have mentioned the last third is great).

Basically, I haven't been able to connect to the characters enough to care about them or the situation they find themselves in. Ergo, I am disinterested.

The writing is strangely wooden and I feel distanced from the story ~ rather than feeling like I am alongside the characters experiencing it with them.

For me, the third person narration is lacking in personality ~(or at least it hasn't shown up yet).

I think it will appeal to readers who enjoy plot-driven stories. Maybe also fans of mystery. I also think, from what I have read, it is more on the MG side of YA.

*weirdly, I have felt very formal while writing this abandonment explanation. I even used the word 'ergo' (!) LOL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days Like This.

07/27/2011 page 67
22.0% 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily That cover is pretty powerful! I'm interested to see how the Aussies will do dystopia.

message 2: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes I just read that this was the runner-up in the amazon breakthrough novel O.o

it's set in Sydney :)

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic Can not wait for this!!!!

Cass -  Words on Paper That's really too bad. I'd love to tell you it gets better, but from what you've said I don't think reading on would have benefited you. I didn't love the third person but it wasn't a dealbreaker like it was for you...

message 5: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Ah, thanks Cass.

To be honest, I am just so bored. it's not my kind of book at all :/

I actually really like third person narration. Some of my fave books are in third person and done brilliantly (I used to find first person strange, actually, LOL).

Even if this was in first person, I cannot see any personality in the narration. I really need that character connection to get pulled into a story :)

(I did want to keep reading, especially as it's a review copy, but I keep disengaging from the story and having to re-read bits I've just read ~ or opposite, keep skimming forward). I didn't rate it as I can't really say how it all turns out. It's just not a "me book" at all :/

Reynje So agree on the MG feel! (Which made the ending all the more weird, to me - and probably why I felt it didn't really work).

Reynje Also, lol @ergo :)

message 8: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Thanks Reynje. I was getting the MG thing the whole time.

I don't think I have ever even said ergo out-loud before. Or written it, actually :D

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic I agree! Just finished and while I liked it it definitely lacks personality. Well said Nomes.

Reynje wrote: "So agree on the MG feel! (Which made the ending all the more weird, to me - and probably why I felt it didn't really work)."

What is up with that? I was like that feels a little awkward.

message 10: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes NOw I am curious about the ending ... ;0

Reynje Nomes, just flip ahead :)

Nic - I know, right? I think I get what the author was trying to do, but it felt strange to me. Awkward for sure.

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic Nomes just read the last couple of pages.

Reynje and what the was up with that Luca scene too. That was awkward too.

Reynje Ha ha, yes!! I cringed! I'm not even sure why it was necessary :/

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic The romance in this book just felt completely out of place. Just like it was put in there randomly unfortunately.

message 15: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery Nooooooooooooo. (totally articulate review though, Nomes:) I'm just disappointed in the book)

message 16: by Nomes (last edited Aug 03, 2011 09:00PM) (new) - added it

Nomes I was pretty devastated too, but happy to have finally moved on (i hate being stuck in book limbo ~ deciding whether to persevere or abandon).

Braiden Oh yes I felt the epilogue...strange. I actually laughed because she couldn't leave us wondering how the rest of their lives would be like but had to tell us!

Rabbiereader Nic wrote: "Nomes just read the last couple of pages.

Reynje and what the was up with that Luca scene too. That was awkward too."

Wow, some of you guys are pretty harsh. I liked this book - a lot. oh well,different strokes, I guess. Just hope it doesnt put other people off that would be a shame

message 19: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic Rabbiereader, I still think it is good just a some parts just didn't work for me.

message 20: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes @ RR: I haven't really said either way too much about the book (or rated it) as I just couldn't get into it (unfortunately) and therefore can't say what it was like. mostly, it is because I enjoy character driven books more than plot, I guess.

I often like to write a few words why I don't finish a book as I know people are always curious why books get abandoned.

I'd say in this case, it was a personal thing, nothing against the book itself :) I'm glad you enjoyed it though :)