Katie's Reviews > Planting Dandelions: Field Notes From a Semi-Domesticated Life

Planting Dandelions by Kyran Pittman

F 50x66
Apr 16, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from April 14 to 15, 2011

I won this book through Good Reads First-Reads program.

This book was hard for me to relate to - I guess I am just not at that point in my life - and after reading this book, I'm not sure that I ever want to be. The author shared things in a manner which has convinced me she would be the type of person I would dread being stuck next to at a party - the classic over-sharing in a crass manner person. You know, the one that you and your husband have to have some sort of non-verbal cue for "get me out of here". I'm happy for her that she has made peace with her life and has embraced what has been given to her, but I struggle with seeing how her story is one that is begging to be told. We are given incomplete information about specifics of her past, and yet she almost gives us enough gory detail to draw a map of her vagina from memory.

But I still read the whole thing. It was a book I could see you reading while at the doctor's office. Or you could pass it around your mom group. The author is a woman that seems to always follow her own heart, and that is something that we all should do - I only hope that we also dare to dream even bigger than what we are handed.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planting Dandelions.

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I'm enjoying the book so far but I agree with the crass factor. I like her style and honesty and definitely feel a kinship with trying to fit in to the white picket fence crowd but I could do without the mental map, as you pointed out. That made me laugh.

Justin That's interesting, as I found the crassness as one of the only things to set it apart.