Debby's Reviews > The Ten-Year Nap

The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer

Apr 15, 11

did not like it
Read from April 12 to 14, 2011

This isn't a book I would normally be drawn to read, but the title intrigued me. I decided to read it more for curiosity sake, knowing full well what I was getting into, as far as the feminist agenda goes.
The Ten Year Nap is about 4 friends who were raised hearing the feminism message, "As a woman, you can be anything you want. You can do anything you want. You can have it all and you deserve it!" So they each pursued the college, marriage and career route until, around the age of 30, they began having kids. Then, they each chose to leave their careers and be stay-at-home moms. Now, 10 years later and entering their 40's, each of them are re-thinking their decision and looking at their options for their future.

No big surprises here. The title of the book and the last sentence in the book are the best summary statement: The Ten Year Nap AND After a while you wake up and move on to something else.

WOW! Really? I guess you can be and do whatever you want as a woman. But, if you choose to be a wife and mother? Well, then you're really just "napping" in any real sense of commitment and self-fulfillment.

To that I'll say one word - CRAP! (oh, I forgot...in my opinion.)

13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten-Year Nap.

04/19 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) I was in a more generous mood when I read this, I guess, and gave it 2 stars. But I think you're closer to the correct rating. ;-)

message 11: by Debby (new) - rated it 1 star

Debby That's funny, because I sat at the computer working on the review for quite a while, having given it 2 stars. Then the more I thougth and typed and deleted and thought and typed some more, the more I realized I REALLY didn't like the book and Wolitzer's innuendo with the title and the last sentence of the book.
I will say, this book "could" be good material for discussion in a book club!

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Debby, your review points out that you don't have to praise a book to earn a "like". I also found your opinion quite amusing!! :-)

Debby I am (unfortunately) fluent in Sarcasm when I'm ticked about something and The Ten Year Nap definitely hit a nerve. This review could have been longer and much more specific, but I chose to keep it short and to the point. I didn't like the book and I don't agree with it's message to women and to the culture at large.
I do appreciate that you liked the review!

message 8: by Barbara (last edited Apr 17, 2011 03:55PM) (new)

Barbara I'm glad that I'm not an object of your "fluency" (love your terminology!). I continue to chuckle about your review! :-)

By the way, I've never read anything by her that I liked. Have you?

Kristi Debby, I liked your review. This was one book that bothered me as well. I had more to say, but it ended up being a rant on feminism and the right to choose, etc. I'll stay off my soapbox seeing as how it's only 530am right now. :D

Debby Barbara - no, this is the first book I've read by her and I'm not sure whether I'll read more by her or not.

Kristi - Thanks! I would have liked to have said more about the ideas in the book, but the review would have been so long nobody would have read it. :)

Kristi Yay, it's like that when you either really loved it or get fired up for opposite reasons. :) You just want to go on a "word splurge".

Debby I like that...word splurge! I think I'm learning, especially the older I get, that sometimes the less said the better and the better chance someone will actually listen.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara It's like soft spoken people are usually the ones who are heard (and listened to) better than those who shout!

Debby The Book of Proverbs is full of wisdom like that. Here's Proverbs 10:19
When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise.
That's a lesson I'm still learning on a deeper level...keep talking and you'll say too much, obscure your point, cross a boundary, regret something.
I'm also passionate about things which means learning to control the tongue in the midst of feeling strongly about something. Now. there's self-control! :)

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara We are getting quite philosophical! I do like that Proverb.