Molly Amory's Reviews > Every Demon Has His Day

Apr 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, and, urban-fantasy
Read in March, 2010

** spoiler alert ** So, there's this pretty blonde woman with supernatural powers who lives in the South and has a restaurant and gets involved against her will in adventures with supernatural beings while falling for a hot guy. Eh. The author seemed to be trying too hard to fit her main character into the Sookie Stackhouse mold - she's pretty much an exact sound-alike. Don't get me wrong, I read the Sookie Stackhouse books, but I feel pretty strongly the current urban fantasy/horror market only needs one of her.

And also, being a person from the South, I can assure everyone that all people from the South do not actually talk like an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies.

My biggest problem with the book, though, is that I'm not sure about the wisdom of creating two fairly funny demonic characters (I say funny, but their schtick got really old by the middle of the book and was totally DOA at the end) and then making them gleefuly take credit for (past, off-screen, not actually vital to the plot) really heinous violent crimes against children. I mean, ok, they're demons, sure. But in what amounts to a fluffy supernatural rom-com, the author totally killed the funny right there. Major wrong note for the kind of story it was, and pretty much killed the book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Demon Has His Day.