Emma's Reviews > Looking for Alibrandi

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Apr 14, 11

Melina Marchetta continues to surprise me with her amazing prose and heartfelt messages. She reaches right into the core of an issue and creates a living, breathing character to explain it. The characters in this novel are unique and compelling. The plot takes the reader places that they would have never imagined.

Josephine is a girl on the edge. She doesn't know where she is going, or when. The life she knows is her mother, her stalwart Italian grandmother and her last year at a strict Catholic school. She has friends that understand her and seems a little spoiled by her life with her mother. Everything changes with a few men that walk into her life, her mother's life and those that walked into her grandmother's life so long ago.

This is primarily a novel about identity. Josie doesn't quite know her own life story and is trying increasingly hard to figure it out. Out of all Melina Marchetta's books, I had the hardest time connecting with this one. It was like a puzzle that I was trying so desperately hard to solve, while I could never get any traction on the true meaning of the story until the very end. I loved Josie's character, but Jacob never made me swoon. Jonah Griggs and Finnikin have made me swoon in my day :)

It's a book that all fans of YA should read. It's Marchetta's first book and has lead her on the path to greatness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alibrandi.

Quotes Emma Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Living is the challenge. Not dying. Dying is so easy. Sometimes it only takes ten seconds to die. But living? That can take you eighty years and you do something in that time.”
Melina Marchetta, Looking for Alibrandi