shana naomi's Reviews > Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House

Fair Game by Valerie Plame Wilson

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: spies
Read on April 03, 2011

i read this the day after watching the film w/ my parents. very impressive source material (and great movie).

i should have read this backwards, though - there's a note from S&S at the top about how she submitted the book (per regs) to the CIA for approval and clearance of any sensitive material. it came back substantially redacted, and various negotiations and a lawsuit later, most of them were left standing -- even the areas that were not classified and had been otherwise reported on in the press.

the publishers commissioned a journalist to essentially fill in the blanks in a profile piece that they ran at the end of the book -- but had i read it first, i think the whole thing would have read a bit more smoothly. (the redactions are, at times, borderline hysterically funny in how totally fucked up they are. see, for example.)

even heavily censored, plame wilson's story is incredibly compelling - not just for the international intrigue angle but the horrifying witch-hunt that followed her husband's criticism of the war in iraq.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fair Game.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, thanks as I will try to jump over to see if I can get into it.