Kirsten's Reviews > Preacher, Vol. 1: Gone to Texas

Preacher, Vol. 1 by Garth Ennis

Dec 22, 14

bookshelves: read-pre-12-07, own, graphic-novels, fiction, horror-and-horror-ish, re-reads
Read from December 21 to 22, 2014

First read 2005, re-read 2014. It's been almost 10 years since I first read this series, so I figured it was time for a re-read. Turns out I still love this opener in all its crazy, gory, heartfelt glory. So great.

* * * *

People've been telling me I should read Preacher, since I like Hellblazer so much, and I finally got around to picking up the first book today. I'm glad I did, because I enjoyed it thoroughly. Like Hellblazer, it's not for those with weak stomachs, but it's also wickedly funny and the three main characters are great. Basically, it concerns one Jesse Custer, a preacher in a small town in Texas who is possessed by a mysterious half-angelic, half-demonic being called Genesis. He's pulled from the smoking wreckage of his church by his ex-girlfriend Tulip and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, who've just happened by at an opportune moment. And then the fun starts, because Heaven needs to get Genesis back, pronto, so they've sent an undead killer after Jesse... Oh, and have I mentioned that sometimes Jesse holds conversations with John Wayne? It's absurd, and it's gory, and it's sometimes just a tad mean-spirited, but I couldn't help but love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher, Vol. 1.