Denerick's Reviews > The Cider House Rules

The Cider House Rules by John Irving

M_50x66
Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: favorites

Irving writes like a vine, dangling to and from, everything interconnected but unique and imbibed with a continuity. The Great American novel at its finest... a marvel of Maine! Such emotional depth, clarity of meaning and a wonderful examination of ethics. I will admit to having welled up in certain parts of the book - over Wilbur Larches 'rare compassion', his demise, the aching love triangle of Candy, Homer and Wally, Wally's survival (Not that it was much of a surprise really) over Rose Rose and Homer's eventual realisation of destiny - that he must play God if the world insists on refusing compassion to those that need it most. I found myself comparing Wilbur Larch to Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird - men of rare compassion, understanding, grace, and a strong sense of the righteous. The Cider House Rules was a memorable film, but the novel is so much more totemic, so profound, so mystifying at times. This is accessible and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cider House Rules.