Emily May's Reviews > One Foot in the Grave

May 03, 11

bookshelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011
Recommended for: Anyone who loved Spike half as much as I did
Read from April 21 to 23, 2011

EDIT: I'm adding a honorary star to the first two books in this series, just because Frost has been consistently awesome throughout.

I really really enjoyed this book but I just can't quite bring myself to award it 5 stars when you compare it to, say, Margaret Atwood's genius in The Handmaid's Tale or the deeply entwined mystery/romance/mythology of Darkfever and the rest of the Fever series. This is an easy-to-read addictive series with a heroine who is likeable, brave (without being unrealistically so), and pretty much always horny. That last point being awesome when you have a sexy character like Bones as the love interest.

People may say Bones is a complete rip-off of Spike from Buffy, and they're right - he is. But since when did that become a bad thing? Spike is the one true love of my media-saturated heart and Bones does everything he did, says most words and phrases that he said (sodding, shagging, bloody hell) and has a lot of hot, kinky sex like Spike also did with Buffy :D Not to mention the fact that he is a very selfless bed partner. Still, I don't feel right giving 5 stars to a novel that is, when all things are said and done, just a really good and really smutty Buffy fanfic.

But I do also like the way Bones can be caring without having to play the over-protective male. It happens all the time in paranormal romance that the girl's weaknesses are played upon and in swoops Mr gorgeous-and-usually-dead to save the day. But in this series, Cat and Bones are a team, working to watch out for one another without it being one-sided; and Bones never underestimates Cat's ability or judgement. You may be guessing by now that I sort of really love Bones.

What this book claims to be and just isn't that much is Urban Fantasy - the lines tend to blend between UF and paranomal romance sometimes but this series is definitely the latter of the two, regardless of what the library sections try to say it is. It is heavily focused on character relationships and sex, not that this is a bad thing in my opinion but the bad guy (or girl) of the moment often gets put on the back burner in favour of the protagonist's sex life. Like I said before - smutty fanfic.

So this book, in fact this series, is not perfect. I could complain on and on about the story not being particularly great because Frost focuses her energy on what Bones can do with chains and blindfolds (the answer - a lot), but what would really be the point when I enjoyed reading this so much. Goodreads' rating system doesn't offer opinion on quality of plot or writing in particular, just "liked it", "really liked it" and so on... well, yeah, I really liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Foot in the Grave.

04/22/2011 page 107
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue Tint smutty fanfic! love it,,, I might have to give this book a try ;)

Emily May Sue wrote: "smutty fanfic! love it,,, I might have to give this book a try ;)"

I would definitely recommend ;)