Melanie Coombes's Reviews > The Butterfly's Daughter

The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in November, 2011

I really liked reading this book. Twenty-one year old Luz begins a journey to return her grandmother's (abuela's) ashes to her ancestral village in Mexico. Luz had been raised by her abuela, who told her that her mother died when Luz was only five years old. Her abuela taught Luz all about the monarch butterflies; how they are born, live and fly to Mexico every year.
As Luz departs Milwaukee in an old, orange VW nicknamed El Toro, she begins an incredible journey. She is also under a time frame so she can arrive in Mexico along with the returning monarch butterflies. Along the way she encounters some amazing women who help guide her towards her destination.
I loved that this book suggests that their is a reason about the people and situations that you may encounter. That life is not just a series of random coincidences. The book was very uplifting and full of hope. A great read. I have never read this author before, but want to check out her other books now.
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly's Daughter.