Lady's Reviews > Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter

Loretta Lynn by Loretta Lynn

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: used-to-own

A surprisingly honest biography (but then, I wouldn't expect anything else from Loretta Lynn), though the countrified prose is a bit heavy to bear. Hence the three stars. I understand she is from Appalachia, the "South's South," but some editing would have gone a long way in making this readable. And I would have left Doo (her husband... and what an unfortunate nickname) years ago, rather than put up with his abuse and infidelity for literally fifty years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loretta Lynn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (last edited Aug 18, 2012 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy She only agreed to do the book if they would publish it exactly as she wrote it, with no gramatical editing. To me it gave the feel of just sitting down and listening to her tell you her story. It makes it more "real." :)

Lady Peggy wrote: "She only agreed to do the book if they would publish it exactly as she wrote it, with no gramatical editing. To me it give the feel of just sitting down and listening to her tell you her story. It ..."

I can certainly appreciate that point of view, but I still submit that the corn-pone grammar was off-putting. C'est la vie. :)