Megan's Reviews > 2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake

2 by Jake Adelstein

Apr 14, 11

Read in April, 2011

From that first tweet I knew if this got off the ground it would be big. In fact it had to be big. Big enough to capture a whole disaster and make it real to everyone outside of it.

It is one thing to see video on youtube or the news and a whole other to read the testaments of those living through it, everyone invested in Japan and even those looking in from the outside just waiting to see what is going to happen next. Somehow watching those waves roll over cities and towns feels too surreal and mindblowing to fully comprehend, but the fears and hopes and concerns on paper (well electronic paper; physical print is still in the works) bring it all crashing down to reality.

Our Man and his virtual team of editors, translators, PR, designers and all of the contributers have done something amazing here. It doesn't need any pretty words or prose; #quakebook speaks for itself with raw, heart-rending emotion.

Thank you everyone who worked on this. You rose up to a challenge & refused to be helpless or hopeless.

As someone who longs to return to Japan and make it my home I hope everyone can spend a little, learn a lot and support Japan in her time of need.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2.