Jen's Reviews > Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs: Family, Friendships, and Faith in Small-Town Alaska

Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs by Heather Lende

May 19, 2011

bookshelves: favorites-of-2011
Read from April 25 to May 19, 2011

I very much enjoyed this book, and I look forward to reading the author's previous memoirs. Much of the writing reminded me of the short-lived TV show Men In Trees, which my mother and sister obsessed over, but I could also very much relate to- and find interesting- the discussions of sustainability, living off the land, how life in remote Alaska differs from life elsewhere with regard to convenience.

I also appreciated Heather Lende's musings on life, death, illness and injury. Anyone who has lost a loved one or witnessed someone else battling to wrap their head around such a loss can definitely relate and appreciate.

This book is a great combination of wit, wisdom, hypotheses, time-honored quotations and personal experience. I know several people I intend to pass it on to or purchase it for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs.

05/13/2011 page 25