Susan's Reviews > Field Gray

Field Gray by Philip Kerr

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: historical, mystery
Read in April, 2011

I fell for Bernie Gunther (and Phillip Kerr) from the moment I started March Violets, and have been following Bernie's exploits ever since.Gunther is a man true only to himself and his own rather twisted morality, yet for some reason you can't help but like him. He is also a complete contradiction - an SS officer who despises the Nazis, a POW of the Russians who refuses to be cowed and a man with no qualms about double-dealing people he cares for to reach his own ends. This is especially true in Field Gray,not so much a mystery as an espionage novel. And in post-war Europe Bernie is mixed up with an alphabet soup of agencies: KGB, CIA,FBI,Staasi, and MI-6. Everybody wants a piece of Bernie, and along the way we learn of his war and post-war years before he landed in Argentina.It's a long sad journey and Bernie has picked up crucial info that everybody seems to want. Since all Bernie wants is his freedom, he plays along with the spooks. Or does he?
I have to admit that all the double-dealing had me quite confused at times as to what was really going on, and had me backtracking to recheck facts. And while not the usual "who done it" I found it a satisfying look into post war politics, and into Bernie's soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Field Gray.