Andreea Daia's Reviews > Catalyst

Catalyst by Anne McCaffrey

May 07, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, read-2011, young-adult, sword-and-planet
Read from April 14 to May 06, 2011

Finally I pushed myself to finish this book after I started it more than two months ago, read only about 30% of it, then read six other books in the mean time. The main problem I found was that the first half was very very slow-moving and not that interesting. While I understand that the authors had to slide into the story, it felt unnecessarily long and rather bland.

The second half however was much better paced, having also the benefit of some healthy humor. The character of Pshaw-Ra is what brings life into this book. I also really liked the fact that the cats' language is so much more "elegant" and elaborated than the one of humans.

The action in the second part if well structured and unlike some reviewer mentioned (maybe not on GoodReads) the fight scenes are not R-rated. I also don't agree with the reader who said that the the story is told from the cats' perspective: the POV changes throughout the entire book, occasionally being one of the cats. I think that person was trying to make a point that this is a YA novel, which is true, although not because of the POV but because of the rather simple literary style and lack of character development.

In conclusion, based on the ending, I don't regret reading it, although I think it could have been better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catalyst.